Roast chicken is our family's favourite especially for my son and daughter who thinks that only their mum makes the best ever roast chicken...hahaha what a compliment and I thank you for that dear Mudzaffar & Teh Zarina and I love you both dearly. May Allah bless you both with all His blessings dunia akhirat. OK reminding myself not to get too sentimental now hehehe.....I always get too sensitive & emotional when I speak about my children even though they are now big grown working adults but thats me but I guess all mothers are like that......Alhamdullillah.
I normally stuff my roast chicken with a good homemade stuffings which is made up of chopped onions cooked and mixed with some chicken burger meat (shredded) and also few pieces of bread (shredded). These are cooked over medium fire. Add some water so that they are thoroughly combined, add one or two chicken cube and add a dash of salt and pepper with some italian herbs/oregano for that umphhhh flavour and taste!...
As for the gravy, I would normally use the drippings/juices from the roast chicken, add some butter to the juices (of course after taking out the roast chicken and all the vegetables and onions) and stir in some flour about 2 tablespoons and stir so that no lumps appear. Add one or two chicken cube and add some water to this (depends how thick you want your gravy to be but never too thick or thin) should be just nice. Finally add some salt and pepper and not forgetting a dash of oregano/italian herbs or bay leaves, and its ready to be enjoyed with the roast chicken making this dish so fantastically delicious.
Try this recipe from Recipe60 if you feel like having a fantastic Mat Salleh meal of roast chicken, homecooked by you for your whole family without having to spend too much at restaurants. I believe you too can do this in your very own kitchen. Its easy, just follow the steps carefully. Happy trying and enjoy!
- 1 whole chicken (1.6 kg)
- 3 or 4 washed potatoes skin on
- Half a butter pumpkin skin on (seeded) - I use carrots instead
- 3 or 4 garlic cloves
- 30 g butter
- Dried Italian herbs (a few shakes)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 160 deg C or 320 deg F
- Melt your butter in a microwave for approx 60-90 seconds
- Remove the tips of the chicken wings
- Peel a large onion and slice in four
- In a roasting tray/pan, place onion slices in the centre with your chicken on top
- Cut up your potatoes in wedges
- Cut your pumpkins (carrots) in 2 inch chunks
- Add pumpkins (carrots) and potatoes around your chicken in roasting dish/pan
- Pour melted butter evenly to coat the chicken and vegetables
- Shake your dried herbs over the chicken and vegetables
- Season with salt and pepper
- Drizzle olive oil over potatoes and pumpkins (carrots)
- Crush garlic and disperse around the vegetables, mix them well with the oil and garlic until well coated
- Roast for approx 90 minutes and simply walk away, no turning, no basting, no temperature change, nothing to do. This is the easy recipe but do check after 60 minutes as all ovens can be different.
- Once cooked, remove from oven.
- This step is optional but well worth it, turn chicken upside down in roasting dish, cover with foil and towels and let rest for 15 minutes (all the juices will run into the breast)
- Carve chicken and serve.
- Pour some of the pan juices over your meat or you can make some gravy out of this juice.