Made this fabulous Lasagna the other day, in fact made it during the night to be eaten for breakfast the next day. I guess this was the second time I did this, the first was somehow a flop as it did not have enough moisture to cover the lasagna sheets. All that was experience which made us a better person when we learn from our mistakes.
So here it is I would like to share this beautiful yet simple recipe for those who want to try doing it for the family...be careful with the tomato paste though. If you put too much of them, your lasagna would taste a bit sour so just follow the recipe and you will be fine....Good luck!
- 250g Large Instant Lasagna (San Remo)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 500g minced meat (beef or mutton or you can also use minced chicken)
- 5 tbsp tomato puree or paste
- 2x400g canned tomatoes (or you can use about 3-4 very riped big tomatoes, chopped.
- 2 cups chicken stock (or use 2 maggi chicken cubes + 2 cups water)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 cups fresh milk
- 125g mozzarella or cheddar cheese (grated)
- Heat oil in a saucepan.
- Add onion, carrot and garlic and cook until soft.
- Add minced meat, cook until brown. Stir in tomato paste/puree, canned tomatoes or chopped tomatoes and chicken stock (maggi chicken cubes + 2 cups water)
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg (if used).
- Cover and cook gently 20 minutes.
- Melt butter in a separate saucepan, stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes over gentle heat.
- Remove from heat, stir in milk. Return to heat ad stir until thick and smooth.
- Season with salt, pepper and add mozzarella or cheddar cheese, stirring over low heat until cheese melts.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the meat sauce into a lightly greased baking dish.
- Alternate layers of lasagna, meat and cheese sauces, ending with cheese sauce layer (allow for 4 layers).
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese, bake in oven for 35-40 minutes or until cooked through (test if cooked by pricking with a fork).
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Serves 4
- For perfect lasagna, make sure that lasagna sheets are completely covered with the meat sauce. Important to retain a high level of moisture. HAPPY TRYING & ENJOY,