- 450 grams flour (I use self-raising)
- 1 pinch of baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt (generous)
- 50 grams caster sugar
- 110 grams unsalted butter (diced)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 50 ml double cream
- 200 ml milk
For the glaza
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Water or milk (a little - beat with the egg)
- Sift together the dry ingredients. Stir in the sugar. Lightly work in butter using fingertips until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg (with 1 teaspoon vanilla essence added to it), cream and enough milk to moisten.
- Mix well until you have a soft, doughy texture.
- Lightly roll dough out until it is approx 2.5 cm thick. Cut out scones and transfer to greased baking sheet. Brush scones with egg wash. Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg C for 15-20 mins or until well browned.