28.3.15

NIGELLA TRADITIONAL SCONES

The scones from this recipe turned out fantastic, so light and fluffy and went well with heaps of real butter and raspberry jam.  I have dded some vanilla and they tasted even better and I simply love this traditional scones recipe. To get them right, I have watched a few videos on youtubes of how to get perfect beautiful scones and I think I did the right thing as I now know exactly how they are made.  Perhaps you should too, just to get acquainted - learn about the tips, the what to and what not to!..you will be amazed how you can suddenly produce fantastic scones like I just did...so give it a try.

Ingredients

  • 450 grams flour (I use self-raising)
  • 1 pinch of baking powder
  • 1 pinch of salt (generous)
  • 50 grams caster sugar
  • 110 grams unsalted butter (diced)
  • 1 egg (lightly beaten)
  • 50 ml double cream
  • 200 ml milk

For the glaza

  • 1 egg (beaten)
  • Water or milk (a little - beat with the egg)

Directions

  1. Sift together the dry ingredients.  Stir in the sugar.  Lightly work in butter using fingertips until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.  Add egg (with 1 teaspoon vanilla essence added to it), cream and enough  milk to moisten.
  2. Mix well until you have a soft, doughy texture.
  3. Lightly roll dough out until it is approx 2.5 cm thick.  Cut out scones and transfer to greased baking sheet.  Brush scones with egg wash.  Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg C for 15-20 mins or until well browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment